Monday 16 January 2012

Mini New Yorker....My Creative side......from sewing a button to making a teddy

So I remember at school in textiles I was terrible I could barely sew a button on. I don't think I ever completed a project in textiles ever. So from going from that to making a teddy bear....I have to say how cool am I now??? So again after seeing Kirstie make a teddy bear from scratch I wanted to give it ago....!! Well I bought a little kit so the bits where all in it....which helped but certainly didn't make it magically go together. I had to read it about 100 times to even figure out what ever thing was. Putting it together gave me a bit of a challenge. But even with the slightly complicated instructions I managed to make it over 2 day I would have made it even quicker if I didn't have to stop for eating and sleeping...I probably would have spent the night finishing it I got so stuck into it. It's like a really good book you can't put down.

My first step of making my bear
arm stuffed with joint
Day 1: So I thought I would show my progress of my bear making and show I started from scratch and didn't cheat and buy a pre-made bear and claim it was mine or something......!! Here I had done the bears arm but it was a little bit confusing because there where 3 bits to it and you had to sew that bears pad first so I did that and then stitched the rest of the arm (leaving a little gap to stuff it) and then you turn it inside out and the put the joint in through the little hole and then you stuff the arm as much as you can so its full. So day 1 I sewed both arms, a leg and an ear. ...Sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

 










Day 2:  I started sewing straight away as soon as I got up the next day by lunch I had done another leg. The next bit was difficult sewing the body I had to figure out which bit I had to sew and what the instructions meant by sewing a dart....but I just did what
I thought was right which left enough space    to put the head joint which will allow the head to move and the same on each side for the legs so I did that ok. Then I attached the arms and legs and then the fun part was stuffing him to make his tummy really fat so he doesn't go floppy in later years as I now want to give this bear to my children in the future. He's my pride and joy. So after the body stuffed, the head my was the most difficult with 3 parts of it. So the final bit was to put the head on the body and sew the nose on so with my bear finished I took him to my mums, neighbour's and to a meal a a friends restaurant to show some of my friends. I had one order to post to Australia and my mum seemed to find him rather sweet too so all round I think a definite success.
My completed bear...my work of Art

No comments:

Post a Comment