Wednesday 2 November 2016

Becoming an Organ donor......Receiving an Organ Donation

I wanted to write this post to raise awareness on becoming an Organ Donor. As you guess Organ Donation is very important to me and very close to my heart and to my family.  In 2012 I was rushed into hospital and was told that both my Kidneys had failed due to Chronic Kidney Disease and that I would need to go on to Dialysis and I would need a Kidney Transplant and be on the list within the year. My Adoptive Father had also been diagnosed with Kidney disease but due to have Multiple Myeloma (which is a blood cancer) which meant my Father needed a Stem Cell Transplant. Unfortunately my Brother and I were ruled out due to being too young and my Mother wasn't a match to donate our Stem Cells. However my Father was able to have his own Stem Cells harvested which were taken out of the blood and then after each round of Chemo they would then give the Stem Cells back to him through a drip.


As you have have guessed from my previous posts, on the the 14th September 2016 I received a Kidney Transplant after being on the Transplant Waiting List for about 18 months. When I was put on the list, I was told that it would be approximately a 3 year wait due to the number of people waiting which was higher than the number of people registered as donors. The total people waiting for all Transplants is just over 6000 approximately and the total of people that received an organ was just over 4000 approximately. When I was told that I would need a Transplant I immediately joined the Organ Donation Register, I felt that I wanted to give the Gift of Living back, especially as I would receive the Gift of life when I received my Kidney Transplant. This creates a kind of Pay it Forward (if you like-if that makes sense) You could also be a Living Donor this means you could donate a Kidney, Part of your Liver and Tissue.

By signing the Organ Donor Register you are saving lives, not just one but you could save up to 9 peoples lives who are waiting for life saving Organ Transplants.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-to-donate/

No comments:

Post a Comment