Wednesday 2 November 2016

My Kidney Transplant Journey......



As I have said in other post I was diagnosed in 2012 so I have been ill for 4 years, but I was the Transplant list for about 18 months. These photos were take in March 2011 before I was diagnosed. I was told that I had severe food allergies. This is what happened as my kidneys were failing, my face would swell to the point on this occasion I couldn't actually open my eyes. I had gone to a walk in centre and they just sent me home with antihistamine. This was quite an regular occurrence and they had said it was Urticaria.

Unfortunately it wasn't this was my Kidneys failing and the swelling was the build up of fluid my Kidneys couldn't get rid of and the rash with blisters you can see in the photo is all the toxins building up in my body and skins. 


Flash forward 4 years, I was put on the
Transplant list in April 2015, I was on the waiting list for about 18 Month. While I was on the list I was on Dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours a session. I found I was coping ok until earlier on this year 2016 and started to struggle with the waiting time.

 I had just started to get my head around the waiting list and that I would be waiting another 2 years for my Kidney Transplant when I was on my way to work after being off for 10 weeks for the summer break I got the call at about 9.00am. I was looking at my phone and I just had a bit of dumb moment and just said to my husband while we drove to work "why are Bristol calling me?" When I answered it the Transplant Nurse and she just said that there was a good match for me and that I needed to get to Bristol asap. So I ran into the office at work and then burst into tears, told them I got the call and then I ran out to the canteen and then ran to my friend and told her and then ran back to the car. We then rushed back to the house and I just threw loads of stuff in to my bag that was packed. Most of the stuff I didn't even use or wear. So I got there on the Tuesday midday and then waited till about 6 because I was told it was going to take place this in the evening. I then got told that it would be Wednesday during the day, then as I waiting I turned around and saw the Kidney in its bag go past. I burst into tears, I think the reality just sunk in and I knew that I was going to get my Kidney Transplant there and then. Up until that point anything could have happened for it not to go ahead.

I went into the surgery room had some drugs to put me to sleep and then then next thing I knew I woke up in recovery, a while later I was wheeled back to the ward and I remember seeing my Husband and giving him a thumbs up and then just feeling quite sore and attached to lots of beeping machines. I had a neckline in and other monitoring gear on me and oxygen for a while. I was alert straight away and chatty but I was still quite anaemic due to losing quite a bit of blood in surgery, but I was lucky because I didn't need any drains in. I only had a catheter which I wanted to pull out after the 3rd day, it was so uncomfortable but it came out on the 5th day and then I was able to go home and cooperate from there. I then had to go back to Bristol 3 times a week for 6 weeks and I am now in my 6th week and I get my stent out on Monday and then I get Transferred back to Dorset. I generally can't wait because then it feels like getting back to normality. My next thing to do is write a letter to my Donors Family, I want to take my time so that I get it right and say it in a way that is sensitive to their lost but show how grateful I am.

These Pictures below from Top Left

This is me before my transplant nil by mouth-hence the sad face. The next 2 pics are me after Transplant with Oxygen on and monitoring gear on and a neck line-looking slightly glazed from the strong pain killers from the magic button.
The Bottom 2 pics are of me going out for the first time on a wheelchair to get a Costa Coffee-very novel as I wasn't allowed Coffee on dialysis and the last pic is the 5th day ready to leave-back in normal clothes after having my catheter out. 





The next part of my journey will be in the next blog. The Recovery Process.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/register-to-donate/register-your-details/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment