Tuesday 15 November 2016

Being on dialysis.....what it's like


So having Kidney Disease means that inevitable at some point you may have to go onto dialysis. Although some are lucky, never having to go on to dialysis before they get their transplant. I however was not that lucky. So I started hemodialysis back in 2014.

Pic on left: Me with a neckline-masks have to be worn while being put on.
Pic on right: Me on Hemodialysis

Actually I should really start at the beginning, so you have two types of dialysis, Hemodialysis and Peritoneal dialysis. You will need a type of dialysis when your GFR (Glomerular filtration rate how well your kidneys filter fluid, the rate at which creatinine -toxins, is cleared) drops 15% or less. Mine, when I was first diagnosed in 2012 it was 5/6 and in 2014 it dropped to 5/6 again.

The first type is Hemodialysis which you can see me on in all these pics at the hospital unit. This type is where your blood is taken out of your body and then cleaned through this machine to get rid of the toxins because we can't get rid of them ourselves. This cycle takes an average of 4 hours but it differs between different patients. Each persons experience of dialysis is different, mine was up and down. The Second dialysis is peritoneal dialysis which is where a fluid is put in to your tummy through a tube, this stays in for a time period which differs on how quickly your filter rate is. This then draws the creatinine out and then is drained into an empty bag. This type of dialysis can be done at home and there is an overnight machine too. I had lots of issues with this dialysis and eventually had to have the tube removed after getting peritonitis twice which meant I missed the cruise we had booked. I then had to have temporary necklines made it a bit temperamental but I became more stable once I had my fistula (permanent access) put into my leg (clot in my arm where they normally put them) which became a lot easier. I would recommend not eating to much while on dialysis as it lowers your blood pressure and you can faint.

I had my little bag of things that I would bring with me to the dialysis unit at the hospital to keep me occupied, which I highly recommend. Most units have TV and Wifi but I used to bring my DVD and watch lots of box sets-well mostly Downton Abbey and Harry Potter. I also used to draw and paint while I was on dialysis. I have also written the script for a Murder Mystery dinner party script/plot. So actually it's a great time to do things you don't have time to in a normal day. Make the most of the time where you can't do much so you might as well catch up on your favourite show or read a good book. Oh taking extra blankets will help because if you're like me, I felt freezing so I would quite often come in, in a onsie-my Christmas one got a few comments but that could have been because I went in wearing it in the summer. It must have been a bit weird a giant Christmas pudding walking in-I'm sure there's a joke in there.....!!!

I was on and off dialysis for 4 years, of which 2 of those years I wasn't on any dialysis because my kidneys gained a bit of function so I came off everything. I also overhauled my diet and followed the Dialysis diet. You may get given a diet book given to by the dietitian to follow to reduce your potassium and phosphates. You may want to lob this book out of the window, I can assure you this is normal, my adoptive late dad (who also had kidney disease-weirdly) threw it across the kitchen and I had many moments when I would get in a strop when I first started (and sometimes after that) about not being able to eat some of my favourite foods. You do get used it (eventually) and it does become the new normal. We started cooking a lot more stuff from scratch, when you start looking at packets and info on food it will shock you and actually, it puts you off ready meals for life-yuck. Eating out becomes a bit more difficult but you just have to remember the basics and don't be afraid to ask how things are cooked or ask if it could be cooked in a different way-avoid microwave food, it increases the potassium because the moisture is cooked out-or something like that. There is one more thing most people get given a fluid restriction which was very difficult to stick to but it is very important to, otherwise fluid can build up and this can cause a lot of issues.

I hope anyone going through this journey will feel a little more informed. I had no one my age to go through this with, I was 26 when I was diagnosed so it felt weird being the youngest on the wards and units. I was the youngest by a long way as well but it's good to have someone to go through the journey with, I have recently reached out on social media for people who have been through this journey. I did a friend who I did dialysis with but not my age but I was grateful to have someone and  I still ring her up and talk to her about what I go through on a weekly basis. This journey will throw some curve balls but the best thing is to stay positive. I bet you will be like 'yeh right' but I think that kept me sane and not crying all the time. There is one quote I live by when it comes to my health or difficult times 'when life dishes you lemons make lemonade'. So out of something bitter or sad make something sweet or happy.





Me on dialysis with a dazzling array of different hair styles. I'm didn't realise I had changed my hair so much....any way

 Toodles xx


No comments:

Post a Comment