Wednesday 21 December 2016

BLOGMAS...Day 21 Making and decorating a ginger bread house

 So you may think that's not really the Pinterest look, well no (not sure who all the these professional Pinterester's are but this is my attempt!!) I think I pretty please considering my hands are killing me and I can't really do that much at tho mo! 

(A few days ago) 

OK slight issue today, well yesterday. I had a bit of a disaster with trying to do a shopping haul for my mum's and hubby's stocking. So basically no shopping for me and instead, I went to lunch instead with my mum but it mean's that I don't have a blog for today so I have had to change it to the ginger bread house decorating (which I am about to go and do!!) The other thing is that when I got home from Oxfordshire, I was on my road walking back to our house and then I suddenly slipped on the pavement. My hubby and slipped on the same bit of pavement last week. So typing is slightly difficult and painful because when I fell and I put both my hand out so they got the brunt of the fall (second injury of Blogmas.)

So, I have seen sooooo many people doing these over the years and I really wanted to do one. This year felt like the perfect time to give it a go. The first thing I would say though always check the box for what is and isn't included. Yep an EPIC fail, I didn't read the box and became a unstuck (lol) when I realised that the icing sugar to glue the whole thing together wasn't in the box-Rubbish!! So I had to abandon the ginger bread house until today (Sunday) when Hubby and I could make it together with all the correct ingredients. This ginger bread house was from Lidl- they have loads of great food gifts and festive food to put on the shopping list.

(Today)

 : So in the end, I ended up making and decorating  the GBH with my lovely friend and her daughter! The box contains all the panels for the house, some decoration and sweets to create a festive GBH. So we got all the pieces out and we placed the base on a square plate. We then mixed the icing to start pipping using my piping bag I bought years ago (I would actually love metal tips for the piping bag right about now.) It's all about team work!! Also I would say make your icing mixture thicker than the instructions say so it's easier to pipe! We made it look snowy with lots of sweets on the house (mostly decorated by my friends daughter.) She did a great job and my friend and I did the structure of the GBH. This my fist every attempt at doing one so, the fact it stayed up was an achievement!

It's a fun festive craft and great do do with children but be prepared to get covered head to toe in icing sugar mixture. 

Toodles my little gingerbread houses XX 

No comments:

Post a Comment