Thursday 15 December 2016

BLOGMAS...Day 15 Kirstie's Handmade Christmas review (ep 1+2)

Disclosure: These pics are from my TV on pause. These pictures are courtesy of Channel 4 and Raise the Roof Productions.

http://raisetheroofproductions.com/our-work/tv-shows/kirsties-handmade-christmas-2016/

I have been waiting for this show since I saw sneak peaks of her doing filming ages ago on Instagram. I have to say it didn't disappoint, I think it might even be better that her previous ones. There was a great mix of different crafts and locations with lots of crafter's been shown and highlighting their skills is brilliant.

Well this kicked off in the most amazing locations, the highlands in Scotland with some pretty spectacular views. So the first Location was Blair Castle on the Atholl Estate. It was the most beautiful setting and I think I might have to stay here one day. The second location was equally stunning at Waddesdon Manor House in Aylesbury Vale.

Kirstie was "On a Festive Tour of Britain" which highlight all the best of our festive traditions at Christmas. She had some pretty amazing guest judging the competitions, Pip McCormac- Life style director of Red Magazine, Zoe Bradley who has produced creations for Harrods and Alexander McQueen, Ester Lutman Curator for the V&A Museum of Childhood, Eddie Lebeau & Richard Amon-the Tattooed Bakers, Chinelo Bally-Dressmaker.
 :


So Kirstie had quite a few competitions in these episodes, she had a tree competition, paper crafts,toy competition, best stocking competition and a cake decorating competition.

So competition are:

The Best Tree Competition. Winner:Brook

  1. Zoe-Designer, Loves Kitch, A Kitch Tropical Tree. She had some cute ideas for a summer party using little decorations with little faces, including pineapples and flamingos. It wasn't very traditional but would be good in a hotter country (I personally think-cute though!)
  2. Mike-Marketing manager,Blogs on Crafty Gentleman, he used classic colours but he had his tree with 3 zones, green using felt, red using lino printing and white was origami. He also matched his lights to each section. (I like the felt garland he made.)
  3. Brook-PR Manager for a department store, she used Macrame knotting craft. I think she used a great mix of textures, including natural decorations.
  4. Chloe-Charity worker and craft writer, modern folk, style is traditional but in a fresh way.  
 : Paper Craft: Winner:Zack-A dove.
  1. Karelena (not correct spelling but I've search for her name and I can't find it) Pajaki Chandelier which is a traditional Polish decoration instead of the wreath.
  2. Zack-Childrens book illustrator, worked with Ralph Lauren and Anthropology. A dove which took 10,000 cuts to make.
  3. Coco- Writes a blog, snowflake wreath made with origami.
  4. Izzy-  Illustrator and paper engineer, Driving home for Christmas Scene. (this is my choice who I thought should win, I loved the tree sticking out of the little roof and the presents balanced on the roof too.)
 : Toy Competition: Winner: Natalie-Winston the Bear.
  1. Derek-Makes wooden rocking horses and then gives to children's charities, Amazing craft work, very traditional. (my choice would be the rocking horse)
  2. Natalie-Winston the teddy bear-he takes 3 weeks to make. 
  3. Alex-Studying Aerospace engineering, makes handmade skate boards and uses pyrography to burn on designs.
  4. Simon and Cat-Dolls house with handmade furniture and rooms decorated.
Best Stocking Competition: Winner: Christine-Pompom Stocking
  1. Adam-Small stocking with hand embroidered with bits of fir trees.
  2. Chris-design manager, stocking made of shirts cut into strips.
  3. Rosie-Craft business, luxury Stocking made of velvet diamonds (my choice-beautiful and sophisticated.)
  4. Christine-Jumper material, pompoms and vinyl circles over laid onto each other.
 : Best British Christmas Cake Design: Winner: Zoe Family Affair.
  1. Floria-made floral decorations inspired by a vintage card.
  2. Zoe-Film set designer, Family affairs- a TV with the Queen's speech on and left over dinner.
  3. Lara-A Corgi reindeer with a ripped up Queen's speech.(my Choice was the Corgi becuase there was humour behind it and a story that not everyones Christmas goes to plan quite fitting for me really being hospital over Christmas in 2014)
  4. Jordan-Old school piping buttercream flowers and jumper textures.
All there Competitions were great fun to watch and guess which crafter might win, I have to say my choice did differ to the judges and I think it would be interesting to see other people who watched what they thought. 

A few of the crafts that she did with other special guest crafter's were:
  1. Christmas Crackers-I would love to make my own crackers and I think I may attempt this next year for a dinner party at Christmas. They are great to make individual for each guest or the other thing I have seen is hollowed out old books and presents placed in side (Christmas at the Chateau) 
  2. A plaster cast star made with Charlotte Hern, it was a nice idea but I thought it might be time consuming and expensive to get silicone and plaster. 
  3. Spiced pear and walnut chutney, Christmas in a jar with Chef Angelia Malik. Lovely idea but recipe didn't make a lot for the list of ingredients. Although it should last for 12 months if you don't eat all in the first week-ummmm no comment!!
  4. Scottish Tweed and Fleece Dog Coat with Iona Barker-very cute and makes me want a dog even more now and go to Scotland (highlands and Edinburgh)
  5. Sweet making with Holly Brook (not a craft for the kids boiling sugar involved) Cute idea to put in some ones stocking maybe-she did say can be flavoured with anything including alcohol. I think the gingerbread one they did with gingerbread men sprinkles were cute.
  6. Reclaimed wood made into cheese boards with Sophie Salu (not correct spelling again couldn't find her on any search I did) she made a little small board in the shape of an egg. This would be nice to make if you hand access to the band saw. Nice idea though. 
This had definitely made me want to take part and I will keep an eye out for any more events/shows she will be doing and I will obviously be taking all of her books I have to get signed! Can you tell I'm a big fan. I really enjoyed the two episodes so far and looking forward to the last one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment